Sockbooze and fruit salad

Okay, done with it. The vapors make me nauseous so it's time to click the send button.

And I bet I'm gonna see a typo the second after it's gone.
And yes, I do first mail myself a test version. But I nearly flunked math in high school because sometimes my brain refuses to see what's out there, and in such a case 10-2 equals -12 every time I check, no sweat.

On another note, the query is longish, but well within parameters (near 500 words). An instance of first making sockbooze (with improved recipe), then using it to make fruit salad. Yummy fruit salad, I hope.

First I had to improve the recipe of the sockbooze, though. Only after I sent the first version, I realized it might give the wrong impression, seeing how most of the names involved are bible-derived. Nope, the novel is not about the bible or God, or Christian values (except the ones we share with all humans, no matter their religion). So having only bible-related names as anchor points for the wordblitz that is query, and considering the medium I'm sending it out in (U.S.), there might arise issues of hypersensitivity.
It might or might not be why the query met with a negative, but I adapted and improved the recipe nonetheless.

Then, while checking the next agent's preferences, I realized the improved query doesn't align well with the sample (first pages). It might when chapters are asked as sample, but not with the first pages.
So I wondered (read: agonized over) whether it mattered. Not all stories have to start with the protagonist (whether or not connected with the prologue issue), do they?
When an agent asks for a couple of first pages to check your ability to pour words into a sentence, does he expect to see a high corroboration of the "story" in the query?

I figured it wouldn't hurt if the package made some sort of sense, so I started out with 250-words counting sockbooze and ended up with fruit salad.

N.B.: I was going to add some personalization, but I hate personalizing without direct feedback because it only adds to my agony and then I don't sleep well and all my creative energy goes (without my say-so) into making up the scene at the other end of the line. Exactly why I hate telephones.
But if I had added it, the personalization would include mention of the Smeg C9GMXU and Sabre fencing, and how there might be some common ground. Ick, now I must go and wash my soul because I feel all prostituted.

Comments

0 Responses to "Sockbooze and fruit salad"

Post a Comment